This cast iron Southwest Frittata recipe is easy and flavorful! It's made with roasted sweet potatoes, bell pepper, spinach, and cheese.
Frittatas are one of my favorite go-to meals when I'm looking for something flavorful without a lot of effort. This Southwestern Frittata is made with sweet potatoes that are roasted with savory spices, along with some other veggies and Pepper Jack cheese.
I don't know about you guys, but I ALWAYS have a carton of eggs in my refrigerator. I love eggs because they're cheap, easy to find, and can be used in so many different ways. Eggs really are an all-star ingredient.
One of my favorite ways to utilize eggs is to turn them into a frittata. A frittata is an Italian dish that loosely translates to the word 'fried'. It's made with eggs that are beaten and mixed with any variety of other ingredients.
All of those ingredients are poured into a cast iron skillet and baked until the eggs are cooked through. A frittata is a great dish to make when you want to clean out your fridge or pantry, because there is literally nothing that can't be added to it.
Another thing I love about frittatas is that they can be served for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner and may be eaten hot or cold. The frittata is a go-to dish for a reason.
- What Can Be Added To A Frittata?
- Ingredients For Southwest Frittata
- What Kind Of Pan Is Best For A Frittata?
- How To Make A Southwest Frittata
- How To Roast Sweet Potatoes
- Should I Add Milk Or Water To A Frittata?
- How Long Does A Frittata Take To Bake?
- How To Know When A Frittata Is Done?
- What To Serve With A Frittata
- Can It Be Eaten Cold?
- How Long Does A Frittata Last In The Fridge?
- Can It Be Frozen?
- Southwest Frittata with Sweet Potatoes
What Can Be Added To A Frittata?
The eggs in a frittata kind of act as a blank canvas that can be flavored with whatever else is added to them. You can take a frittata in any direction you like in terms of flavor.
You can add Mediterranean ingredients like Kalamata olives and feta cheese, Italian flavors like pancetta and artichokes, or Tex Mex with the addition of chorizo and Queso fresco.
A frittata can be vegetarian, or prepared with meats like ham, bacon, sausage, or smoked salmon. Cheese is often added for extra flavor and richness.
One thing that's important to keep in mind when making a frittata is not to overload it with ingredients, especially ones with a higher moisture content. This may cause the frittata to become watery as it bakes.
As long as there is a good ratio of eggs to add-ins, you should end up with a frittata that has a balanced flavor and fluffy texture.
Ingredients For Southwest Frittata
Here's what you'll need to make it.
- 2 cloves Garlic
- ½ Onion (any color) or 2 Shallots
- 1 Bell Pepper (any color)
- 2 Sweet Potatoes (yields 3 cups)
- 3 Tbsp. Olive Oil (split)
- 2 tsp. Cumin
- 2 tsp. Chili Powder
- 10 Eggs
- ⅓ cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 cup shredded Pepper Jack Cheese (or cheese of choice)
- 1 packed cup fresh Spinach
- ½ tsp. each Kosher Salt and Pepper (split)
What Kind Of Pan Is Best For A Frittata?
A cast iron skillet is a great choice when making a frittata. A frittata is a dish that is made both on the stove top and in the oven and cast iron is safe for both.
It's best to use enough oil when making a frittata in a cast iron skillet in order to prevent the eggs from sticking to the surface as they bake in the oven.
Make sure that the cast iron skillet used to make this frittata is well-seasoned, as this will yield the best results.
I use a 10 inch cast iron skillet to make this Southwest Frittata and find it to be the perfect size for this kind of dish.
How To Make A Southwest Frittata
The first step is to prepare the aromatics and vegetables. Once everything is chopped, the vegetables are sautéed in the cast iron skillet and the sweet potatoes are roasted in the oven.
The vegetables may be sautéed at the same time the potatoes are roasted in the oven, streamlining the whole process.
- Mince 2 cloves of garlic and ½ an onion (any color). You can also use 2 shallots in place of the onion if you prefer.
- Dice 1 bell pepper (any color).
- Peel 2 sweet potatoes and dice them into chunks.
- Place the cast iron skillet on a stove top heated to medium-high. Add 1 Tbsp. olive oil to the skillet.
- Once heated, add the minced garlic, onions (or shallots), and diced bell peppers to the skillet. Sauté for 5-6 minutes, stirring often.
- Remove the skillet from the heat when finished.
How To Roast Sweet Potatoes
I find that it works best to roast the sweet potatoes before adding them to the frittata, as this results in the best flavor and texture. Sweet potatoes have a tendency to stick when sautéed in a skillet and roasting them eliminates that possibility.
It takes about 20 minutes to roast sweet potatoes and may be done as the peppers are sautéed on the stove top, or completed ahead of time.
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the peeled and diced sweet potatoes onto a baking sheet and drizzle them with 2 Tbsp. olive oil.
- Sprinkle 2 tsp. each of cumin and chili powder over the sweet potatoes, along with ¼ tsp. each kosher salt and pepper. Toss the sweet potatoes until completely coated in the oil and spices.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and roast the potatoes for 20 minutes, or until tender, but not mushy.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and allow the sweet potatoes to cool.
- Reduce the heat to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
Love sweet potatoes? Check out these recipes!
Should I Add Milk Or Water To A Frittata?
Another step that may be taken while the vegetables and sweet potatoes are cooking is to prepare the egg mixture.
The eggs are a vital ingredient when it comes to making a frittata and are sort of the star of the show.
It's best to use full-fat dairy when making a frittata, as this results in the best texture and flavor. You can opt for heavy whipping cream or whole milk. Full-fat dairy such as heavy whipping cream ensures a fluffier texture when it's finished baking.
- To make the egg mixture, start by chopping 1 packed cup of fresh spinach.
- Shred 1 cup of Pepper Jack cheese (or cheese of choice).
- Crack 10 eggs into a mixing bowl and add ⅓ cup heavy whipping cream. Whisk these ingredients until completely combined.
- Add the shredded cheese, chopped spinach, and ¼ tsp. each kosher salt and pepper to the bowl. Stir until combined.
How Long Does A Frittata Take To Bake?
The sweet potatoes are roasted at 400 degrees Fahrenheit and the frittata bakes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit, so it's important to reduce the temperature before popping it in the oven to bake.
This Southwest Frittata takes 28-30 minutes to bake in the oven. Once the sweet potatoes, vegetables, and egg mixture is ready it's time to assemble and bake the frittata.
Once the sweet potatoes, vegetables, and egg mixture is ready it's time to assemble and bake the frittata.
- Pour the roasted sweet potatoes into the cast iron skillet and arrange them evenly in the sautéed peppers.
- Pour the egg mixture over the top of the veggies and shake the pan a bit, so that the eggs cover and coat the veggies evenly.
- Put the cast iron skillet in the oven and bake for 28-30 minutes.
How To Know When A Frittata Is Done?
It's important to cook a frittata properly, so that it is not over or undercooked when ready to serve.
A frittata should puff up a bit when it bakes. The texture should be springy and fluffy after it has finished cooking.
An undercooked frittata will be runny and watery and one that is overcooked will be flat and dry.
- I find that 28-30 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit makes for optimal texture. Of course, baking times may vary slightly depending on the type of oven used.
- It's important to note that the eggs will continue to cook a bit after the pan is removed from the oven. I recommend letting the frittata cool for 5 minutes before cutting into and serving.
- This step also allows the eggs to pull away from the surface of the skillet, making it easier to cut and less likely to stick.
- The edges will become slightly golden brown when finished and the center should no longer be jiggly if you shake the pan. Once all of the eggs have 'set', it's time to remove it from the oven.
What To Serve With A Frittata
After the frittata has cooled slightly, it's time to serve.
This Southwest Frittata is made with spices like cumin and chili powder, so I love to top it with anything I would normally add to tacos or any of my favorite Tex Mex dishes.
Minced cilantro, sliced avocado, and salsa are my toppings of choice for this frittata.
Guacamole, pico de gallo, pickled jalapenos, or salsa verde also make for tasty toppings.
If you're looking to serve it with a side dish, black, pinto, or refried beans are all great options. Spanish rice, black bean corn salad, or any fresh salad are perfect if serving for lunch or dinner.
Ham, bacon, or chorizo are delicious if this frittata is served for breakfast.
Can It Be Eaten Cold?
A frittata can be eaten warm after baking, at room temperature, or straight out of the refrigerator.
It can be reheated in the microwave if you'd like to warm it up a bit.
Love Southwest flavors? Check out these recipes!
- Southwest Baked Egg Rolls
- Enchilada Stuffed Peppers
- Slow Cooker Barbacoa Tacos
- Crispy Chipotle Rice Balls
- Quinoa Enchilada Casserole
- Chipotle Chicken Panini
How Long Does A Frittata Last In The Fridge?
This Southwest Frittata should last 2-3 days stored in an airtight container in the fridge. Allow the frittata to cool completely before transferring to the fridge for storage.
Can It Be Frozen?
Yes, it can be frozen, but it's best to cut the frittata into slices and freeze them individually.
How To Freeze
- Cut the cooled frittata into slices and wrap each slice individually with plastic wrap.
- Place the wrapped slices into a heavy-duty freezer bag, label with the date, and freeze up to 3 months.
How To Thaw
- Transfer as many slices as you like to the fridge a few hours before serving to thaw.
- Once thawed, it can be eaten cold or reheated.
Love breakfast? Check out these recipes!
- Ham and Cheese Frittata with Asparagus
- Sweet Potato Breakfast Bowls
- Denver Omelette Egg Cups
- Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash
Looking For More Egg-Centric Dishes? Don't Miss These Recipes!
Southwest Frittata with Sweet Potatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ onion any color, may sub 2 shallots
- 1 bell pepper any color
- 2 sweet potatoes yields 3 cups diced
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil split
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 packed cup fresh spinach
- 10 eggs
- ⅓ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup shredded Pepper Jack cheese or cheese of choice
- ½ tsp. kosher salt split
- ½ tsp. pepper split
- Heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mince 2 cloves of garlic and ½ an onion (any color). You can also use 2 shallots in place of onion if you prefer.
- Mince 1 bell pepper (any color).
- Chop 1 packed cup of fresh spinach.
- Shred 1 cup of Pepper Jack cheese (or cheese of choice).
- Peel 2 sweet potatoes and cut them into chunks, making sure they are all relatively the same size to ensure even cooking.
- Put the baking sheet in the oven and roast the sweet potatoes for 20 minutes. Once they are tender, but not mushy remove the baking sheet from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once heated, add the minced garlic, onions, and bell peppers. Saute for 5-6 minutes, stirring often. Remove the skillet from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Add the roasted sweet potatoes to the cast iron skillet and stir them into the sauteed veggies.
- Add the shredded cheese and chopped spinach to the egg mixture. Stir until combined. Pour the egg mixture over the top of the sweet potato vegetable mixture in the cast iron skillet. Shake the skillet until the eggs have settled into the pan evenly.
- Pop the cast iron skillet into the oven and bake for 28-30 minutes, or until the edges of the frittata are slightly golden brown and the center is no longer jiggly. Remove from the oven and allow to cool 5 minutes before serving.
- To Serve: Run a knife along the edges of the frittata and cut it into slices. Serve with fresh cilantro, avocado, and salsa or toppings of choice (optional).