These Sweet Potato Tacos are healthy and easy to make! This vegan recipe is made with roasted sweet potatoes, black beans, and avocadoes.
These Roasted Sweet Potato Tacos are perfect for those of us trying to lighten up our post-holiday eating habits. This recipe is great because it's vegetarian, vegan, and gluten free.
I've said it before and I'll say it again - Tacos are one of the most versatile recipes out there. The variety of ingredients you can stuff inside a tortilla is endless.
Tacos can be filled with slow-cooked meat like carnitas, topped with tons of gooey cheese, or adorned with super spicy peppers.
Tacos can also be vegetarian or vegan and full of nothing but healthy ingredients that rank right up there on the flavor meter like these Sweet Potato Tacos.
It's fresh and easy to prepare. I mean it - This is a super simple recipe. Plus, they're fun to prepare and eat. Because let's face it - Tacos are just a fun food!
How To Make Sweet Potato Tacos
The first step to healthy taco bliss is to heat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Sweet potato forms the base of this taco recipe.
- As the oven heats, dice 4-5 sweet potatoes into small pieces (this equals 4-5 cups). Try to make sure the pieces are roughly the same size. Dicing the potatoes fairly small will result in a faster cooking time and an even size will make sure that they finish cooking at the same time.
- Throw the chopped sweet potato pieces on a baking sheet and toss them in 2 Tbsp. of olive oil.
- Sprinkle 2 tsp. garlic powder, 2 tsp. onion powder, 2 tsp. chili powder, and 1 tsp. cumin along with a generous pinch of salt and pepper over the potatoes and toss to coat evenly.
How Long Should I Roast Sweet Potatoes In The Oven?
- Pop the pan into the oven and roast for 20 minutes. Check the potatoes around the 10 minute mark and toss them around a little bit. This will prevent them from sticking to the pan as they cook.
- Remove the pan once they have finished cooking. The potatoes should be easily pieced with a fork.
This combination of spices works so well with the flavor of sweet potato.
Sweet potatoes are, of course, sweet and pairing them with warming spices like cumin and chili powder gives them a nice balance.
How To Make Avocado Salsa
The other major element of these tacos is the avocado salsa that is spooned on top.
- Grab 2 avocados and slice them each in half. Remove the pit from the avocado and discard.
- Take a knife and score the avocados.
- Then take a spoon and scoop the pieces out and place them in a small bowl. The avocados should be nice and ripe. This will ensure that they scoop easily.
Love avocados? Check out these recipes!
- Baked Chicken Taquitos with Avocado Dip
- Southwest Baked Egg Rolls
- Southwest Guacamole Burgers
- Instant Pot Pork Carnitas with Guacamole
Assemble The Roasted Sweet Potato Tacos
Now all you do is mince ½ cup of cilantro and add it to the avocado along with the juice of 1 lime and a few pinches of salt. Feel free to add more salt if needed.
Avocados are one of those foods that benefits from a good amount of salt.
Toss all of these ingredients together and set aside.
The very last step is to heat a can of black beans on the stove top. Simply prepare according the the package instructions.
You can use any type of beans you like - Pinto or refried beans would also be a great option!
Love sweet potatoes? Don't miss these recipes!
- Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash
- Savory Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Kale Soup
- BBQ Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Breakfast Bowls
- Sweet Potato Frittata
What To Serve With Sweet Potato Tacos
All that's left to do is assemble the sweet potato tacos.
Heat some corn tortillas in the microwave or in a pan on the stove top. A quick note: If you use corn tortillas, I find it best to double up and use two for each taco. Corn tortillas are gluten free which means that this meal is gluten free as well!
Scoop a couple spoonfuls of black beans onto the taco and then a generous amount of sweet potato on top of them. Spoon a good amount of top of that.
Finish the whole thing off with some sliced radishes, spinach, a lime wedge, and some hot sauce. Boom.
For extra flavor, check out this Cashew Cilantro Sauce! It's creamy, vegan, and works great as a topping for any tacos.
These sweet potato tacos are great served with a side dish like Cheesy Spanish Rice, Southwest Black Bean Corn Dip, or Cilantro Lime Kohlrabi Slaw.
Healthy and flavorful tacos in less than 30 minutes! Who said you can't have your tacos and eat them, too?
Other Topping Ideas:
Other topping ideas include lettuce, kale, tomatoes, bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, pickled red onions, salsa, guacamole - The options are endless!
Love tacos? Don't miss these recipes!
- Cajun Shrimp Tacos
- Slow Cooker Barbacoa Tacos
- Chipotle Chicken Tacos
- Roasted Veggie Tacos
- Cilantro Lime Fish Tacos
- Sheet Pan Shrimp Tacos
- Air Fryer Fish Tacos
- Air Fryer Shrimp Tacos
- Vegetarian Fajita Bowls
Looking For More Recipes With Avocado? Don't Miss These!
Cilantro Avocado Yogurt Dressing
Avocado Kale Florentine
Avocado Paratha Flatbread
Sweet Potato Tacos with Avocado Salsa
For The Sweet Potato Tacos:
- 4-5 sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- kosher salt
- 1 package corn tortillas
- 1 can black beans
For The Avocado Salsa:
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1 lime
- ½ cup cilantro
- Generous pinch of kosher salt
- Heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Dice the sweet potato into small pieces. Place the pieces onto a baking sheet and toss in olive oil.
- Add garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, cumin, and salt and pepper and toss to coat.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until soft.
- Remove pan from oven and set aside.
- Heat can of black beans on stove top.
For The Avocado Salsa:
- Cut avocados in half and remove the pit.
- Score the inside of the avocados with a knife and scoop the pieces out with a spoon. Place in a small bowl.
- Mince ½ cup of cilantro and add to avocados along with the juice of 1 lime and a generous amount of salt.
To Assemble Tacos:
- Heat tortillas in microwave or stove top.
- Top with black beans, sweet potatoes, and salsa.
- Finish topping with extras such as radishes, spinach, extra lime, extra cilantro, and hot sauce.
Sliced radishes, fresh spinach, corn, lime wedges, cilantro, sour cream, hot sauce, pickled jalapenos, pickled red onions, lettuce, salsa, guacamole
I just added the ingredients for this to my weekly shopping list! Can't wait to make it.
Awesome - Hope you like it!
This looks so good and seems pretty easy to make. I need to eat more veggies in my life. Yum!
Thanks, Kristyn! This is a super easy recipe and definitely full of veggies.
I love the idea of meatless tacos for Taco Tuesday! Can't wait to try this recipe.
Mrs Major Hoff
You had me at taco! I love sweet potatoes with black beans! Thanks so much!
The taco recipe sounds delicious! I can’t wait to try them
Hi Jo - This is one of my favorite healthy taco recipes. Hope you enjoy! 🙂
These flavors sound incredible! I love sweet potatoes and avocados. This looks so yummy!