This Sheet Pan Italian Chicken makes a great easy one pan dinner recipe. A simple meal made with green beans that's ready in 30 minutes!
This One Pan Italian Chicken is simple, yet tasty meal that packs a lot of flavor.
At first glace, it seems pretty humble - A few ingredients thrown together on a sheet pan, tossed in some oil and spices, and then baked for 30 minutes
Sheet pan meals can seem unassuming and un-glamorous simply because they are so easy to prepare and require very little cleanup. Don't let these things fool you, though, if prepared correctly a sheet pan meal can be downright showstopping.
While all true this dish is packed with flavor and the ingredients feel like they are meant to be together. I found myself wishing that I had doubled the recipe because it's that tasty.
Italian dishes have the ability to appear humble but always keep you coming back for more. Their beauty lies in simple, fresh ingredients - No fuss, no frills, just quality stuff prepared well.
Ingredients For Sheet Pan Italian Chicken
One of my favorite ingredients for meals like this has to be green beans. Green beans are incredibly versatile - They taste great braised, sauteed, grilled, or roasted.
Have you ever noticed that green beans never really go out of season? They're great for holiday meals like Thanksgiving or Easter, in soups during the winter, and added to salads throughout the summer.
Most vegetables have a definitive 'season' but green beans never go out of style.
This recipe doesn't require too many ingredients and it was created with the anticipation of planting a garden and warmer days ahead.
Here's What You'll Need To Make It:
- 1 lb. Chicken Breasts
- 1 lb. Fresh Green Beans
- 1 12 oz. package Cherry Tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 2 tsp. Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp. Onion Powder
- ½ tsp. Red Chili Flakes
- ½ tsp. Kosher Salt and Pepper
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese
- Fresh Basil or herb of choice
How To Season Italian Chicken
There's no denying that a major draw of the sheet pan meal is that fact that the entire thing cooks on ONE PAN.
Considering the fact that I've never met anyone who actually enjoys doing the dishes I'm going to guess that no one will contradict this fact.
- The first step is to wash and trim the ends from 1 lb. of fresh green beans.
- The second is to cut 1 lb. of chicken breasts in half. This will reduce the thickness and ensure that everything cooks at the same time.
- Place the trimmed green beans on a large baking sheet. Nestle the sliced chicken breasts in between the green beans.
- Drizzle 3 Tbsp. of olive oil over the beans and chicken. It's important that everything is evenly coated.
- Sprinkle 2 tsp. Italian seasoning, 1 tsp. each of garlic and onion powder, ½ tsp. red pepper flakes, and ½ tsp. each of kosher salt and pepper over the dish. Try to make sure the chicken is spiced on both sides.
- Pour 1 12 oz. container of cherry tomatoes over the dish and place them wherever there is room.
Tips For Roasting The Chicken:
It's important that the sheet pan is large enough to fit all of the ingredients without cramming them together. This will cause the dish to steam instead of roast and things will become chewy instead of caramelized.
If you do not have a baking sheet large enough simply split the ingredients evenly between two smaller sheet pans.
How Long Does Sheet Pan Chicken Take To Bake?
Once everything is situated on the sheet pan pop it in an oven that has been heated to 400 degrees.
Baking times may vary slightly depending on the thickness of your chicken breasts. I found that 30 minutes was just right but you can check it at the 25 minute point and remove it if you feel like the chicken is becoming overcooked.
I'm telling you, magical things happen when this pan goes into the oven. The green beans become caramelized, the tomatoes sweeten, and your whole house starts to smell like Italian garlicky goodness.
This dish only takes roughly 30 minutes to make but it smells and tastes like one of those meals that cooks for hours.
Love Italian flavors? Check out these recipes!
- Skillet Chicken Parmesan
- Lemon Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Roasted Vegetable Pasta Bake
- Lemon Pea Risotto
- Garlicky Mushroom Risotto
- Baked Eggplant Parmesan
How To Garnish One Pan Italian Chicken
The final step is to sprinkle the whole thing with ½ cup of shredded or shaved Parmesan cheese. It's best to do this right after removing the sheet pan from the oven so the cheese melts a bit.
Alternately, you can add the cheese 1-2 minutes before it's finished cooking, pop it in the oven for a bit, and allow the cheese to melt that way.
I always think that basil is a requirement when it comes to Italian meals so I finished the whole thing off with some chopped basil but this step is entirely optional.
You can also use parsley or any herb you like - Dried herbs are also great if you don't have any fresh ones on hand.
I love this dish because the chicken is tender, the herbs are earthy, the green beans hearty, and those roasted tomatoes provide just the right amount of sweetness and acidity.
Love sheet pan meals? Don't miss these recipes!
- Sheet Pan Mediterranean Chicken
- Sheet Pan Sausage and Potatoes
- Sheet Pan Pizza with Canadian Bacon
- Sheet Pan Shrimp Tacos
- Greek Sheet Pan Chicken
- Sheet Pan Chicken Sausage & Veggies
- Pesto Cod and Potatoes Sheet Pan Dinner
What To Serve With Italian Chicken Dinner
You can serve this Sheet Pan Italian Chicken as-is and keep things low-carb or you can add a side of pasta like this Mushroom and Olive Pasta (gluten free or otherwise), or something like polenta, quinoa, wild rice, or lentils.
This recipe can easily be doubled if serving a family (it's written for two but can be adjusted as needed).
You can never go wrong with Italian flavors and you definitely can't go wrong with a good sheet pan meal!
Love green beans? Don't miss these recipes!
Check out these recipes for more Italian flavors!
- Italian Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Arugula Pesto Tomato Pizza
- Garden Fresh Vegetable Lasagna
- Pizza Stuffed Peppers
- Italian Chocolate Hazelnut Cake
Looking For More Sheet Pan Recipes? Don't Miss These!
Sheet Pan Italian Chicken and Green Beans
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash and trim the ends from 1 lb. of fresh green beans.
- Cut 1 lb. worth of chicken breasts in half. This will ensure that everything cooks evenly.
- Place the green beans on a baking sheet. Nestle the chicken breasts in between the green beans. Drizzle 3 Tbsp. of olive oil over the chicken and green beans making sure to coat everything evenly.
- Pour 1 12 oz. container of cherry tomatoes over the sheet pan arranging them in between the green beans.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and cook for 30 minutes. (Cooking times may vary slightly. Feel free to check at the 25 minute mark and continue baking until the chicken is cooked through).
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and sprinkle ½ cup of shredded or shaved Parmesan cheese over the top allowing it to melt slightly.
- To Serve: Garnish with fresh basil or herb (fresh or dried) of choice.