This Gouda Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich recipe is easy and makes a great lunch! It's topped with zesty greens and honey mustard dressing.
This post was sponsored by Mezzetta but the thoughts and opinions expressed here are my own.
Simple ingredients like the ones used in this recipe turn everyday foods like grilled cheese sandwiches into something truly crave-worthy like this Chicken Gouda Grilled Cheese.
Everyone loves a grilled cheese sandwich, right? It's a classic. The great thing about grilled cheese sandwiches (besides the fact that they're delicious) is that they're incredibly versatile.
You are definitely not confined to bread and cheese when making a grilled cheese sandwich. These things are calling out for all kinds of additional ingredients - Meats, fresh vegetables, sauces and spreads.
One of my favorite things to add to grilled cheese sandwiches and a panini is something tangy and pickled - Something to make the flavor really pop. Mezzetta Peperoncini is one of the best ingredients to do just that.
These tangy little pickled peppers cut through the richness of the cheese and add another dimension of flavor.
I am a total sucker for Italian-style deli sandwiches. However, I live in rural Minnesota - No where near an Italian deli.
But, that doesn't mean I can't make my own. This sandwich has all the makings of those delicious heaping deli favorites.
All you need is some hearty white bead like sourdough, deli chicken breast, Gouda cheese, mayo, Dijon honey mustard, tomato, spinach, olive oil and vinegar, and of course, Mezzetta Peperoncini.
How To Make A Gouda Grilled Cheese Sandwich
This sandwich is so easy to make! Simply gather your ingredients and get ready to assemble. This recipe makes 4 large sandwiches.
This recipe is gluten free and uses a gluten free sandwich bread. Feel free to use any bread if gluten is not an issue for you.
- Start by spreading a Tbsp. or so of mayo on one side of the gluten free bread (or any bread if not gluten free).
- Spread a Tbsp. or so of honey mustard on the other side.
- Place a heaping portion of deli meat on the sandwich and then a couple slices of Gouda (or whatever cheese you like) on top of that.
- Heat a flat skillet to medium and butter both sides of the bread. You may need to cook two sandwiches at a time if they don't all fit on the pan.
- Cook the sandwiches for 5-7 minutes on each side or until the cheese is melt-y and the bread is nicely toasted.
How To Make Zesty Vegetable Salad
While the sandwiches are toasting it's time to prepare the spinach salad that gets added when they're done.
- Chop 2 cups of fresh spinach and place into a bowl.
- Now for the dressing: Add 2 Tbsp. olive oil, 1 Tbsp. vinegar, 2 Tbsp. of the brine from the Mezzetta Peperoncini, ½ tsp. sugar, and a pinch of salt and pepper to a small bowl.
- Whisk to emulsify and then drizzle the desired amount over the spinach and toss together.
The brine from the peperoncini adds a tangy bite to the spinach and echoes the flavor of the chopped peperoncini.
Can I Use Another Type Of Green?
Yes! You can use any type of green you like for this salad.
Arugula, kale, any type of bitter Italian greens like radicchio, or even iceberg lettuce would be great.
Next up is to chop the remaining ingredients.
Chop about ½ cup of the Mezzetta Peperoncini into slices. You can add as many or as little as you like but I love to pile them on. I am all about flavor and these gems really bring it.
The next step is to cut a large tomato into slices.
Assemble The Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
The sandwiches should be finished toasting at this point.
- Remove them from the pan and open them back up.
- Add a couple slices of tomato, a handful of the dressed spinach, and a generous amount of the Mezzetta peperoncini.
Then re-assemble the sandwiches and cut them in half. That's all there is to it!
What To Serve With Gouda Chicken Grilled Cheese
These grilled cheese sandwiches give me the satisfaction that comes from wolfing down one of those Italian deli classics.
It's messy, a little indulgent, impossible to resist.
The mayo gives makes it a little rich, the honey mustard adds some sweetness, the tomato and spinach provide some freshness and the peperoncini gives it that bright tanginess I can't get enough of.
Love Sandwiches? Be sure to check out these recipes!
- Italian Mozzarella Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Curried Chickpea Salad Sandwiches
- Lemon Tarragon Chicken Salad
- Mustard Egg Salad
- Corned Beef Reuben Sandwich
- Rachel Sandwich
- BLT with Lemon Basil Mayo
- Chipotle Chicken Panini
Looking For More Grilled Cheese Sandwich Recipes? Don't Miss These!
Gouda Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 8 slices gluten free sandwich bread or any bread if not gluten free
- 8 slices Gouda cheese or cheese of choice
- 1 package deli chicken breast make sure brand is gluten free if gluten is an issue for you
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 4 Tbsp. mayo
- 4 Tbsp. Dijon honey mustard
- ½ cup Mezzetta Peperoncini
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. Mezzetta Peperoncini brine
- ½ tsp. sugar
- pinch kosher salt
- pinch pepper
- 1 large tomato
- Prepare ingredients for assembly. Spread 1 Tbsp. or so of mayo on 4 slices of bread. Spread 1 Tbsp. or so of Dijon honey mustard on the other 4 slice of gluten free bread (or any bread if not gluten free). Add desired amount of gluten free deli chicken breast to each sandwich along with 2 slices of Gouda cheese.
- Assemble the sandwiches and spread desired amount of butter onto each piece of bread.
- Heat a flat skillet to medium on the stove top. Add the sandwiches (2 at a time) to the skillet and heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until the cheese is melted and bread is golden brown.
- For the spinach salad: Chop 2 cups of fresh spinach. Combine 2 Tbsp. olive oil, 1 Tbsp. vinegar, 2 Tbsp. Mezzetta Peperoncini brine, ½ tsp. sugar, and a pinch of salt and pepper to a small bowl. Whisk to emulsify. Add desired amount of dressing to the spinach.
- Chop ½ cup or so of Mezzetta Peperoncini into small slices. Cut one large tomato into slices.
- Remove the tops from the sandwiches once they are toasted. Add 2 tomato slices, a handful of dressed spinach, and desired amount of peperoncini to each sandwich. Return the top to each sandwich and cut in half. Serve immediately.